Even companies with established in-house counsel may have a need to hire outside general counsel to cover unforeseen or uncharted circumstances. Often outside general counsel is called upon to help with supplemental assistance to in-house counsel, as well as internal investigations and litigation. Here’s how we at Dressel/Malikschmitt are here to support.
Supplemental Help from Experienced Attorneys
In-house counsel often have projects that exceed the work capacity of the internal team. When that happens, we are here to step in and “pinch hit” to get you through. Whether it be advice on specific transactions, opinions on discrete legal issues, document review, contract drafting and negotiation—we do it all. Or, if you just need some extra legal help on a term basis, we can do that too. Moreover, bringing in outside counsel can mean far more than an extra set of hands at the table, it also means a fresh perspective to your business and your legal issues. Whether brought on to receive and work on delegated tasks or to offer different or additional experience and perspective, outside general counsel can supplement the efforts of in-house counsel for the benefit of the business.
Internal Investigations and Litigation Attorneys
Allegations of corporate wrongdoing are a serious threat to any company’s future, and the steps you take, and when, matter. Whether it is an internal investigation or public litigation, outside general counsel brings specific experience to help navigate the process, as well as—in the context of an investigation—a heightened perception of independence and credibility. Often it makes sense to retain specialized counsel for these unique and trying events as these efforts always require quick decision-making, delicate efforts, and a uniquely thoughtful approach that is the hallmark of our attorneys.
Outside general counsel will work with in-house counsel on such matters to:
- Determine the scope of investigation, and develop capabilities within a given budget to work to achieve the best solution.
- Gather and assess the facts in a manner that will help to uncover all necessary and relevant information within the budget, time, and resource constraints.
- Assign and oversight committee, where necessary, to establish a credible and objective slate of independent directors who are not implicated in the alleged wrongdoing.
- Consider and implement remedial actions, which must be carefully considered and executed.
- Aggressively defend the matter, in court, where it becomes necessary to do so.
- Work with our public relations team to shape the narrative in the court of public opinion.
Whatever your needs, we can structure an outside general counsel relationship to fit your needs. Whether a matter is beyond the scope or capabilities of in-house counsel, or there just aren’t enough hours in the day to get it all done, we are here to help and provide the experience, resources, and assistance to deal with your issues. To discuss how Dressel/Malikschmitt can offer outside general counsel services to assist your in-house counsel in New Jersey or New York, call us at 848-202-9323 or fill out our contact form right away.