Andrew Dressel enjoys working with his clients as their outside general counsel. Throughout his career he has amassed significant experience by helping companies, many within the energy industry, navigate the general business and legal issues within highly regulated industries. Serving as outside general counsel, Andrew provides all services an in-house general counsel would provide, cost-effectively and efficiently. Andrew enjoys the challenge of helping his clients meet their business and growth goals by staying connected at all levels to the business and its operation. From contract review to handling employment issues, Andrew performs as general counsel without the necessary salary, benefits and overhead required for an in-house general counsel.
Born and raised in Central New Jersey, Dressel/Malikschmitt co-founder Andrew Dressel began his education at Rutgers University. After undergraduate, he attended the University of Pennsylvania Law School, graduating cum laude. During law school, Andrew served as a Legal Writing instructor, Senior Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, and worked with the school’s Supreme Court Clinic.
Indeed, Andrew’s Supreme Court experience helped him develop a unique and exceptional skill set, which he now brings to the New Jersey law and business community. Andrew is one of few attorneys in New Jersey who has helped work directly on cases before the United States Supreme Court.
Andrew later worked at well-respected, high-performing large New York law firms on litigation arising from complex commercial matters such as corporate dissolution, large financial transactions, as well as class-action and multidistrict litigation. He was named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2017, 2018, and 2020.*
Andrew chose to return to New Jersey to start his own practice in order to bring local knowledge and passionate advocacy to clients in New Jersey. Andrew provides businesses and individuals with large-firm sophistication, while also being extremely focused on client service. A founding principle of the firm is to deliver bespoke strategies and focused individual attention. Andrew believes Dressel/Malikschmitt provides access to all the advantages associated with large firms–perceptive analysis, thorough research, sharp writing, and experience navigating the boardroom and courtroom–without Big Law prices or the layers of attorneys associated with large firms.
He is licensed in New Jersey and New York and admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Andrew enjoys classical music and supports local orchestras. He is an avid New York Red Bulls fan and he and his family are enthusiastically involved in the Edison United Soccer Association. He also enjoys crossword puzzles and has competed in the New York Times American Crossword Puzzle Tournament.
- B.A., Economics, Rutgers College, Rutgers University
- J.D., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Senior Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- Louderback Legal Writing Instructor
- Member, University of Pennsylvania Supreme Court Clinic
- Member, University of Pennsylvania Moot Court Board
- Parent Coach-Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School Odyssey of the Mind
- Moderator, New Jersey Civil Procedure Fundamentals, November 2019
Andrew’s experiences include representing:
- Uber drivers in FLSA lawsuit, ending in a nationwide settlement
- A former executive at an investment company seeking millions of dollars in severance benefits, ending with executive receiving the full contractual severance package
- A talent manager in seeking fees from a prominent recording artist, ending in a successful settlement
- A large New York energy company in a dispute with customers, ending in favorable settlement
- A local New Jersey power plant servicing company as their outside general counsel
- A startup social media company as its outside general counsel
- A prominent national law firm as their in-house counsel
Recent Blogs by Andrew Dressel
*The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. See the Super Lawyers website for a description of the selection methodology and other information about Super Lawyers. No aspect of this award has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.