Representing New Jersey Parents Against Graco
Dressel/Malikschmitt LLP has brought a class action lawsuit against Newell Brands and Graco Children’s products based on the claim that thousands of families in New Jersey have been misled about the functional duration of child safety seats. You can click here to read the complaint.
This complaint was brought against the manufacturer of Graco car seats for misrepresenting the useful life of car seats they hold out as new, but are instead sold to consumers with a significant portion of their useful duration having expired. The complaint alleges that Graco is in violation of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and that Graco has made negligent and/or fraudulent misrepresentations.
Our client, and thousands of others in New Jersey and the United States who purchased Graco car seats, were injured financially as a result of Graco’s purportedly unconscionable commercial practices.
The Alleged Facts
- All of Defendants’ Car Seats have a limited useful life from their date of manufacture.
- Our client later purchased a purportedly new car seat online and, upon arrival, saw the car seat had a sticker declaring it had been made over one year prior.
- A product manual from Graco orders consumers to “STOP using this car seat and throw it away 10 years after the date of manufacture.”
- Gracobaby.com explains that “car seats can be used safely only for a defined period of time, typically 7 to 10 years.”
- The car seat received was represented to be new, but was already ~15% expired.
- This fact was not disclosed to our client prior to purchasing the seat and the client was unaware the car seat purchased was so far into its useful life period until after he had actually received it.
- Graco representatives admit that it is impossible for consumers shopping online to protect themselves against receiving these devalued car seats.
- Graco does not warn their customers that they are likely purchasing partially expired car seats.
- This sale of a misbranded and misrepresented product violates the public policy of New Jersey and defrauds New Jersey families.
We are advocating for parents in New Jersey in seeking damages, as well as a court order stopping Graco from its deceptive practices in the sale of car seats online.
How to Join
Dressel/Malikschmitt LLP is looking to represent anyone in New Jersey who bought a new Graco car seat online within the last six years. If you have purchased a new Graco car seat from 2014-2020, follow the links below to connect with our attorneys and join the suit.